It’s summer, and all I want to do is find all the fresh produce and put it into the one bowl and slurp it with a straw! This recipe comes close…minus the straw of course. All you need is a hungry tummy and a fork to enjoy this one. The dressing is Vegan. Don’t let that word scare you. It just means it’s not made with any dairy or animal product. It’s all plant based, and isn’t that a lovely thing? If you leave out the grilled chicken, this is a completely Vegan dish. But my teeth eat meat, so I always like to add a light protein to my dishes.
Green Goddess Grain Bowl
1 lb. chicken
2 cups wheat couscous
2 cups chicken stock
2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
grilled fresh asparagus
1 cup shredded cabbage
1 cup fresh arugula
handful of pistachios for topping your bowl
Green Goddess Dressing (Vegan)
1 cup packed parsley and cilantro leaves combined
1 jalapeno (optional, but why would you leave out the delicious heat?)
2 cloves garlic
2 limes juiced
1/2 cup water
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup pistachios
- Put a little oil, salt, and pepper on chicken and on asparagus. Grill chicken over medium high heat 7 minutes per side. Rest for five minutes. Cut into bite size pieces. Grill asparagus one minute per side or maybe a little less if they are not big stalks. They cook fast, and you want them to retain some crunch.
- Cook couscous according to package instructions substituting chicken stock in place of water. Fluff well.
- Slice tomatoes and set aside.
- In a food processor blend together all ingredients for the Vegan Green Goddess Dressing.
- Coat the couscous in the Green Goddess Dressing. If it is too thin, you can add water.
- Add the asparagus, tomatoes, chicken, and top with pistachios. ENJOY!