Fans have spoken…Nashville may not be over just yet. Though ABC canceled the show after four seasons, the producers are trying to take it to another network.
The decision to cancel the show was so sudden that even the actors didn’t know about it until right around the same time the news broke online.
But the producers of the show aren’t packing up the sets and leaving town just yet; in fact, they’re trying as hard as they can to save the show.
The Hollywood Reporter confirms that other networks are being approached.
AXS TV snagged off-network cable rights to the series last year, with seasons one through three currently in rotation on the cable provider.
Hulu, which saved The Mindy Project last year after it was canceled by Fox, also has the rights to air old episodes of Nashville.
Even if Nashville doesn’t go on, the actors who made their home in Music City won’t be moving on. Series star Charles Esten says he’ll be staying in the show’s namesake city, no matter what.
“This show has brought me so many blessings that cancelling could never take away,” he says — especially the friendships that he, his wife and children have established. “We’re not going anywhere.”
The May 25 episode of Nashville will now serve as the series finale, unless the show does get picked up elsewhere. But at least fans will get some degree of closure. Esten says the show wrote and filmed alternate ways to wrap up the storylines so they would be “prepared for this contingency.”