In my house we crave tacos! All one of us has to do is mention the words Mexican food, and we both know that means TACOOOOOOOOOS!
Let’s be honest though. Mexican food can be full of fat, calories, and carbs. But I have found a way to get our fix without busting up the hard work we put in to eating healthy.
Check out my Light & Low Carb Cabbage Taco Salad! You get tons of crunch from the cabbage, richness and a touch of spice from the homemade taco seasoning on the ground turkey, and a zippy tang from the fresh pico de gallo. Dontcha’ wanna nosh?!
When a meal starts with all these beautiful colors, you know you’re in for a treat! This meal is gluten and wheat free too!
Let’s make Taco Salad!
Light & Low Carb Cabbage Taco Salad
1 bag of shredded cabbage
pinch of cumin
2 tbsp. olive oil
pinch salt and pepper
Lemon Parsley Pico de Gallo:
1 container of cherry tomatoes
1/2 white onion
2 jalapeno peppers
1 cup fresh parsley
1 tbsp. olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
Taco Meat & Homemade Taco Seasoning:
1 lb. ground turkey
1/2 white onion
2 garlic cloves
2 tbsp. chili powder
2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
This salad has three components, the salad, the taco meat, and the pico de gallo.
1. Pour the shredded cabbage in a large bowl. Squeeze the lemon and lime into a jar. Add the olive oil, pinch of cumin, salt, and pepper and shake well. Pour this mixture over the cabbage and pop this into the refrigerator.
2. Prepare the pico de gallo. Chop the cherry tomatoes, white onion, jalapeno, fresh parsley, and put into a bowl. Squeeze in fresh lime and lemon, then add the olive oil. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Mix all of the dry spices together in a small bowl.
4. Add a tbsp. of olive oil to a pan on medium-high heat and brown the ground turkey. Add the chopped onions and garlic and saute for a few minutes. Add the spice mixture to the ground meat. If the mixture is a little dry, add a tbsp. or two of water to help the spices incorporate with the meat.
5. Build the taco salad of your dreams! I added a tbsp. of sour cream and a touch of shredded sharp cheddar cheese for garnish. I also love sparkling water, so I drink gallons of it!
For more recipes, please follow me on Facebook–> DeAnna Lee’s Facebook page